Denied Entry to Canada

Have you been Refused Entry to Canada?

If you tried to enter Canada and were refused, we know that it is a very stressful and disrupting experience. Or if you just think that you may get refused, you do not want to take any chances. It is important that when it comes to being refused entry into Canada, you are well prepared to deal with the situation.  And you do have options! Whether you have a criminal record like a DWI or something even more serious or you have a medical issue, you can still be admitted into Canada if you have the right paperwork.

Our law firm has over 15 years of experience in handling Denied Entry to Canada cases. Let us help you get into Canada! Contact us for a compressive assessment of your situation.

Denied Entry to Canada because of a Criminal Record?

You may require a Temporary Resident Permit also known as a TRP.

A Temporary Resident Permit or TRP is a Canadian immigration Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It allows you to enter to Canada as a visitor, worker or student even if you are considered inadmissible to Canada due to a criminal record or certain medical conditions.

In some cases, Temporary Resident Permits or TRPs can be issued to people applying for Canadian immigration who are also inadmissible due to Criminal records or certain medical problems.

I was refused entry to Canada. What can I do?

Canadian immigration regulations are strict when it comes to even minor criminal offenses, even for offences that have occurred many years ago. It is always important to consulate with a Canadian immigration lawyer regarding any possibility of refusal or denial of entry to Canada due to criminal offences. A qualified Canadian immigration lawyer can advise you on whether your criminal offence makes you inadmissible to Canada or not.

If you have been denied or refused entry to Canada due to a criminal record or a criminal offence, the procedure is that you make an application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a Temporary Resident Permit or TRP. If you are a U.S. Citizen or a citizen from a visa exempt country, you could apply for your temporary resident permit at the Canada/US Border or Port of Entry such as a land border or airport. If you are approved a Temporary Resident Permit, you will be granted your TRP right away at the border.

However, there are some risks to consider in applying for a TRP at the border or airport. You could be refused and turned away at the border. In some very unusual cases, you could be detained by the Canada Immigration authorities but this is rare.

In most cases, TRPs are submitted to a Canadian Consulate or Canadian Embassy for processing. If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for a Temporary Resident Permit at a Canadian Consulate in the US. However, the downside for applying at a Canadian consulate rather than the border is that processing times for TRP applications at the Canadian consulate sometimes can take a number of months.

How long are Temporary Resident Permits valid for?

The duration of your TRP varies depending on the circumstances of your case. TRPs. can be for a number of months or years and they could be for a single entry to Canada or for multiple entries to Canada.

What if my criminal offence took place years ago? Will I still be denied?

In certain cases, if your conviction occurred 5 years ago or longer, you may be eligible to make an application for Criminal Rehabilitation to enter Canada. A Criminal Rehabilitation application, if approved, will wipe out your criminal inadmissibility that prevents you from entering Canada.

Note:  unlike Temporary Resident Permit, an application for Criminal Rehabilitation cannot be made at a Canada/US border. You should  make an application for criminal rehabilitation at a Canadian Consulate or Embassy. You should always consult with a qualified Canadian immigration lawyer to determine whether you qualify for Criminal Rehabilitation.

Where can I get help if I have been refused entry to Canada?

If you have been denied entry to Canada, please call VisaPlace Legal Immigration lawyers for a consultation regarding your problems at the Canada border.